estled in the beautiful Pacific Northwest, at the southwest corner of Canada and the northwest corner of the United States, Multiple District 19 began its tenure as District 19 of Lions Clubs International in 1922. MD19 is a multi–national organization comprised of 9 Lions Clubs International districts serving 12,000 Lions, Lioness and Leos in 450 clubs in the Province of British Columbia, Canada, and the States of Idaho and Washington in the United States.
Founded in 1917, Lions Clubs International is the largest and most active community service organization in the world. There are now more than 1,400,000 Lions and 46,000 Lions Clubs in 210 countries and geographic areas worldwide.
- MD19 CONVENTION IN PENTICTON — The MD19 Council Of Governors has voted to cancel the MD19 Convention that was scheduled for October 15–17, 2020 in Penticton, British Cloumbia due to concerns over, and governmental restrictions in connection with, SARS–CoV–2 ( See the June, 2020 Convention Report for details). In that regard:
- The Council voted to provide a “virtual” convention in lieu of the in–person convention (stay tuned for details), and
- The Council accepted the Penticton Lions offer to host, and selected Penticton, British Columbia as the site of, the 2022 MD19 Convention (the 2021 MD19 Convention is still scheduled for Surrey, BC), and
- The Penticton Lions have been holding credit card payments for registration, meals and convention activities pending a determination of whether the 2020 convention would be held (check the convention registration Instructions for details). No charges against credit cards have been or will be processed. If you have already made a hotel reservation, you need to contact the hotel (phone 800-663-9400 for the Convention hotel) to cancel your reservation.
- USA/CANADA LEO LEADERSHIP FORUM — The 4th USA/Canada Leo Leadership Forum on July 22–26, 2020 at the Wyndham Visalia in Vasalia, California has been cancelled. Visit www.leosforum.org for more information.
- USA/CANADA LIONS LEADERSHIP FORUM — The USA/Canada Lions Leadership Forum originally scheduled for September 17–19, 2020 in Loiuisville, Kentucky U.S.A. has been cancelled. The Forum will offer a choice of a full refund or a rollover of registration fees to the 2021 Forum (September 9–11, 2021) in Des Moines, Iowa. Visit www.lionsforum.org for more information and for instructions on how to request a refund or a rollover to the 2021 Forum.
On The Horizon…
- MEMORIAL GARDEN DEDICATION – The annual MD19 Memorial Garden Dedication is on the calendar for 1:00
p.m.to 3:00 p.m., Saturday, August 15, 2020, at the MD19 office, 4141 West Maplewood Avenue, Bellingham, Washington U.S.A. Memorials are available for purchase: $10000 for a bush or a shrub, $5000 for a flowering perennial or decorative grass. Memorial costs include the plant, care and watering, planting soils and an engraved plaque on the Memorial Wall. The Memorial Garden is supported solely by contributions. An annual club donation of $100 per member would be spectacular. Contact the MD19 office for other ways to help.
- SOOKE LIONESS BRIDGE TO LIONS CHARTER NIGHT — The Charter night celebration of the Sooke Lioness Club bridging to a Lions Club, originally scheduled for June 13, 2020, has been rescheduled to September 19, 2020. Look for more information in the District 19–I Pride of 19–I, or contact Jackie Lawrence for more information.
- NORTHWEST LIONS LEADERSHIP INSTITUTE — The Northwest Lions Leadershp Institute, originally scheduled for June 4–7, 2020, at Harrison Hot Springs, has been rescheduled to September 24–26, 2020. Check the Institute's web site for additional information.
In The Know…
- DEALING WITH THE CORONAVIRUS IN MD19 — Yes we can! We are Lions! We can still be Lions! We can still serve! Download the letter from 2019/2020 MD19 Council Chairperson J. D. Nellor to all MD19 Lions, Leos and Lioness about being Lions, staying at home, helping our communities, learning new tricks and helping each other, as SARS–CoV–2 runs its course.
- LCI CORONAVIRUS INFORMATION — Check out the following on the Lions Clubs International website regarding LCI's efforts, and assistance to clubs and districts, concerning the coronavirus outbreak:
- HISTORY OF LIONS IN CANADA — A book entitled “History of Lionism in Canada” is now available and can be downloaded at http://quebeclions.ca/canada100/. This book is a summary of the 100-year history of lionism in Canada and its territories. Download the flyer here.
- NEW CLUB GAT REPORTING BROCHURE — Check out the new LCI brocure with step–by–step instructions on how to go about reporting service hours on MyLion. With pictures, too! You can download the brocure here.
- CANADIAN LIONS CENTENNIAL — All Lions of Canada are encouraged to celebrate the Canadian Lions' 100th Anniversary. Download the Centennial brochure here. It outlines the various ways Lions can participate and report through the District Governors. Also note that there is a great opportunity for Districts to apply for a matching grant in the amount of $5,000 US (approximately $6,500 CAD) from LCI for the promotion of a service project which (among other purposes) is for the purpose of publicity, marketing, communications and attracting membership in celebration of the Centennial. Pass on the brochure and encourage your clubs to participate! Contact PCC Polly Voon for more information, and to keep her in the loop over your club's and district's Canadian Centennial activities.
- MD19 MAILING ADDRESS FOR BC LIONS — Sometimes it is the little things, like… maybe… a pandemic… that triggers big things… like, maybe… having a mailing address on the BC side of MD19 where our terrific, BC Lions clubs, Governors, Zone Chairs, coordinators and committee chairs can correspond with, order paraphanalia from, make dues, CARE and LCIF payments, or get whatever to MD19 without having to pay international postage and without waiting weeks for mail to clear customs or otherwise make its way 20 miles south of the International border to the MD19 office in Bellingham. But epiphanies do happen— MD19 now has a BC mailing address! You can find it on the “Contacts” page of this website, but here is a sneak preview: Multiple District 19, Lions Clubs International, P.O. Box 1621, Aldergrove, BC V4W 2V1. So now it is on to working on the next epiphany— how to get a letter from MD19 in Bellingham to someplace north of the border in less than 3 weeks. Hmm…
- WHO IS THAT MASKED MAN? — More to the point, where did that masked man get that terrific, Lions logo face mask? Short story: Somehow, some way, notwithstanding the current PPE supply–chain issues, ever–intrepid MD19 Executive Director (and part–time face mask model), Peter Anderson, managed to score a supply of black cloth face masks, upon which he has had emblazed a contrasting, white, Lions Logo. Yep. That much–beloved symbol of service right there where it can't be missed! You know you want one. And guess what? One of these washable, reusable, Lions logo face masks, courtesy of MD19, can be yours! All it takes is $1000 (US), plus shipping (i.e., postage), and you can claim one of these beauties as your own. You can't beat the deal. Just drop ED Peter an email and get your MD19 Lions logo face mask today. Hairdoo extra.